NSPerformance Drift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FD Spec Safety Regs for Equipment

5 posters

Go down

FD Spec Safety Regs for Equipment Empty FD Spec Safety Regs for Equipment

Post  ProperOne Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:54 am

Drifting, as grassroots as it is, must move with modern safety regulations as the sport grows. As we all know the safer you are, the safer you feel, the more confident you can be to push your car (and your talent) to the limit. FormulaD has done a lot for our sport and is pretty much the determining organization when it comes to safety --- smaller event organizers such as StreetWise and the late Southeast drift will be (or already have) following these rules directly from the FormulaD rulebook.

Coming from my background I'm pretty used to following rules, though local SCCA events were always a little lenient, there have been contests involving paint jobs at the national level. Drifting events are similar, as the other thread discussed zero tolerance tech -- safety is a HUGE issue and it would be terrible to head out to an event only to be denied for your out of date helmet or spend the money on a race seat only to find out it is not legal for use.

I am a nerd and recently read through the FormulaD rule book. Figured I'd lend a hand to those and save you some time.. These are the SFI and FIA specs for 2010 FormulaD and StreetWise Drift Formula D ProAM events.

Seats:
Must comply to FIA 8855-1999 or SFI 39.2. The most affordable options in this area I've found have been the Cobra Monaco and the Sparco Sprint 5, both great entry level seats.

Harnesses:
Must adhere to SFI 16.1 (easy to find) or FIA 8853/98. They do not clearly specify how many belts (4pt-6pt) in the rulebook but I assume that some sort of anti-submarine belt is required (crotch belt to keep you from getting slammed into the floorboard and collapsing your spine). In my experience both are uncomfortable to wear, I have heard the 6pt. is gentler during an actual collision.

Helmets:
Snell SA2005 or SA2010 (will be released later this year). Or SFI 31.2 or 31.2A. Snell ratings are easier to find, stray from "MA" rated helmets as they are for motorcycles.

Driving Suits:
SFI 3/2A-5 or FIA 2000 rated. Most that are affordable are ugly. So it's whatever.

FD also requires fire resistant gloves and shoes. No hair shoudl be exposed, so if you have long hair or facial hair cover it with a nomex mask that makes you look like a bank robber.

Hopefully this is helpful to those of you that want to accel in the hgher levels of competitive drifting. Stay safe!

(Information contained is per the 2010 FormulaD Rulebook)

ProperOne

Back to top Go down

FD Spec Safety Regs for Equipment Empty Re: FD Spec Safety Regs for Equipment

Post  PistolPete Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Awesome info

PistolPete
Admin

https://nsperformancedrift.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyISB Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:47 pm

that's some NICE info
AndyISB
AndyISB

Back to top Go down

Post  Jgunnings Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 am

So for a solo drift day . ie: non tandem runs.... I am required to have a FIA seat, A suit and a harness! Seems a bit overkil if your not caged up and running tandem. I mean this is Amatuer drifting right.

Jgunnings

Back to top Go down

Post  PistolPete Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:13 pm

^ This is true. These rules would only be in effect for larger competition days. We didn't require cages, suits or fia approved seats at our last event, just a helmet and waiver. Nevertheless, these are good rules to have if planning to go further into drifting.

PistolPete
Admin

https://nsperformancedrift.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JabbaDaHutt Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 pm

i agree, if you want to go further you might as well put these items into you budget.

JabbaDaHutt
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ProperOne Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:54 am

I don't think the local organizations are requiring the whole suit and stuff deal for solo practice days, though the helmet is a must. If you do buy a seat, try to buy an FIA one though -- save you money in the long run. Harnesses are easy to come by, even the 16.1 approved ones

ProperOne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum